1XV v Crumlin (Home) 28 Jan 2012

60-0 Win

Rampant Monmouth

Dry and clear conditions on a firm pitch foretold a speedy game with lots of excitement and scores. Sadly for visitors Crumlin, the scores were all one way as top of the table Monmouth thumped them by 60 points without reply although to their credit Crumlin never once gave up in their quest for a try of their own.

Fly half Rhys Ricketts was to top-score with 25 points from his three tries and kicks with No 8 Mike Griffiths not far behind with a hat-trick of his own.

Crumlin initially started the most vigorous and pressed the Monmouth line but once the home team drove them back up-field Griffiths was soon on the score-board following a dominant scrum with the conversion comfortably converted by Ricketts.

Griffiths was in rampant mood and next ran 45 metres to score in the left hand corner which tested Rickett’s boot too much this time.

Crumlin repeatedly tried hard to make ground but rarely made it out of their half and when scrum-half Gareth Morgan touched down to complete a pushover try they knew they were in for a hard day.

Monmouth backs were also in sparkling form demanding some action of their own and justice was served when right wing Matthew Tabb rounded off a copybook three-quarters move scoring far out on the right.

Quick reactions by blind-side flanker George Shirlaw fly-hacked a loose ball through and beyond the Crumlin defence with half-time fast approaching and some 60 metres later touched down for a solo try and a 31-0 lead.

Crumlin used half-time to re-group but it was Monmouth who came out firing on all cylinders. All out attacks nearly brought a score three times but slight errors in handling and determined Crumlin defence robbed them of further scores for an entertaining if fruitless third quarter.

Until, that is, Gareth Morgan at his sharpest for a while split the defensive line and found the lively Tabb in support with his eager flyhalf team-mate rounding off the attack with a try and its conversion.

Crumlin had taken quite a battering in their efforts to restrain the home pack and now had to move due to injury and fatigue to uncontested scrums which normally would even things up but instead once substitutions had come and gone Monmouth regained their rampant ways.

A burst from Morgan saw the ball popped up to Griffiths as he completed his third score and Ricketts not to be outdone rounded the defence touching down just before he took out the right corner flag.

The forwards equally deserved recognition and it was therefore fitting that when back row substitute Joel Pryce made ground but was halted, Stacey Edwards was on hand to take play on before 2nd Row Johnny Powell showed that after 76 minutes of play he still has it by completing the move. Can he really be planning his retirement at the end of the season?

The backs were still keen to show off so when Monmouth secured yet another good line-out the ball was moved along the line which wing Anthony Layne eagerly entered to cut through the courageous Crumlin tacklers. Full back Adam Roberts was flying up in support and when he was grounded, up popped Ricketts again to complete the game with another 7 points.

Pontllanffraith are next week’s visitors to the Sports Ground when supporters will be keen to see what more the Coaches can tease out of their team.

Tries: R.Ricketts (3), M.Griffiths (3), G.Morgan, M.Tabb, G.Shirlaw, J.Powell
Conv: R.Ricketts (5)

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018