U10 v Chepstow (Away) 18 Mar 2012

59-7 Win

Some late withdrawals saw a reduced squad of 12 Monmouth Bears travel to Chepstow on a wonderful spring morning made for rugby. The hosts had virtually double the number of players available and in an effort to give everyone some game-time, it was agreed to play two matches. A sterling effort was therefore required from the Bears, knowing they would be playing against a totally fresh team in the second match. Any early fears that this would be too challenging for them were soon dispelled, as they got stuck into the hosts with great determination from the first whistle.

Chepstow were immediately on the back-foot as the Bears set about them with fine aggressive tackling and rucking, pinning them down in their own half. Big Will Ruck proved to be the difference between the two teams in attack with some surging runs and it was no surprise when he opened the scoring, with a trademark try which he converted. The hosts became more competitive, but the Bears stood firm in defence - it was with some relief therefore when Will scored his second try which was converted by Ben Pilot. A rare lapse in defence however saw the Bears miss some crucial tackles, allowing Chepstow to pull a converted try back just before half-time.

The second period saw the Bears take firm control by tightening up their defensive play, ensuring not one more tackle was missed, with Roderick Ho, Henry Watkins and Ben leading the way. Some fussy refereeing saw the Bears get a little frustrated, seemingly being punished constantly for minor offences. They soon regained their composure to close-out the game, with Will completing his hat-trick with the try of the day, a fine team passing move and, with him adding the conversion, the teams prepared for the second match with the Bears 21 – 7 ahead.

A completely fresh Chepstow team took up the cudgels against the fired-up Bears. Showing no signs of exhaustion, the Bears maintained the momentum of the first game and it wasn’t long before that man Will scored his fourth of the day, again converting his own try. Ben managed to spot a gap and break two tackles to touch down, adding the conversion himself, before speed-merchant Josh Lewis finally got on the score-sheet, by crossing the white-wash right in the corner.

The last period of the game saw the Bears maintain their strangle-hold on the game – Rhys Williams crashed through weak tackles from a short distance, Angus Mackintosh converting; Will Green lit the after-burners to score out wide, with Ben adding the extras and Josh Lewis completed the scoring with the final play, to double his personal tally for the day.

A total of nine tries with only one blot on the copy-book – a fine display of attacking rugby by the Bears, coupled with great defence, saw them run out easy winners on the day by 59 – 7, a great extra Mother’s Day present! The Player of the Week award was presented to Ben Pilot for his relentless tackling and good work in attack.

Final Score: Chepstow 7 – 59 Monmouth

Tries: Will Ruck (4), Josh Lewis (2), Rhys Williams, Will Green, Ben Pilot
Conv: Ben Pilot (3), Will Ruck (3), Angus Mackintosh

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018