U10 v Bournemouth (Away) 15 Apr 2012

Monmouth Bears (Under 10s) Match Report – 14 - 15 April 2012 (Bournemouth Tour)

With their wigs and Hawaiian shirts packed, the Bears lads and dads took part in the club’s annual end of season tour for the third year running, this time to Weymouth and Bournemouth. A great weekend of rugby and socialising ensured we all went home tired and skint, vowing never to drink again, aching for our own beds and a decent shower, but smiling at the memories of another wonderful trip.

After a hard Friday night of partying, the boys took part in a round-robin event at Weymouth R.F.C. on Saturday morning, organised by tour coordinators Burleigh Travel. It served as a great warm-up for the main event on Sunday, with them running out easy winners against Whitehall R.F.C. 45 – 5 and then 50 – 0 against the Weymouth hosts.

Bears win Saturday Tournament

With a second trophy of the season in the bag, the Bears knew however that Bournemouth on Sunday would be a much stiffer challenge, especially with another late night of socialising to contend with beforehand.

Pool Match 1: vs. Harpenden “B” – After a disgustingly early morning start, the first game of the day saw the Bears hit the ground running with a comfortable victory. Raphael opened the scoring following an extended period of Bears possession straight from the kick-off. He doubled his tally for the game before half-time and with Jonny adding a third try in the second period, the Bears secured the vital opening win and thus soothing any early morning hangover-induced grumpiness from yours truly!

Score: Monmouth Bears 15 – 0 Harpenden “B”
Try Scorers: Raphael Kefalas (2) Jonny Snell

Pool Match 2: vs. Wimborne – Due to scheduling anomalies, the Bears had to wait over an hour and a half to play their second match against tough local club Wimborne. A really tight game ensued with the Bears going in at half-time only one try to the good, thanks to a fine effort from Roderick. The “champagne moment” of the game came on the stroke of half-time, with nippy Will Green chasing down the Wimborne winger to make a fine try-saving tackle – a superb effort! Josh doubled the score early in the second period, but back game Wimborne to halve the lead. Up stepped Raphael again to extend the Bears’ advantage and strong defence saw them finally close out the game.

Score: Monmouth Bears 15 – 5 Wimborne
Try Scorers: Roderick Ho, Josh Lewis, Raphael Kefalas

Pool Match 3: vs. Launceston – With only a five minute turn-around, the Bears faced their final pool game, knowing that a win against undefeated opponents would see the victors progress to the tournament semi-final, with the losers ending up in the Plate competition. Fatigue, cold and injuries began to take their toll, as the Bears fell behind to two early tries against well-drilled opponents. Showing great fighting spirit, the Bears came back in the second half with a fine team try out wide by Jonny. They continued to huff and puff, finishing much the stronger team, but they could not break through the stiff defensive line to force an equalising try.

Score: Monmouth 5 – 10 Launceston
Try Scorers: Jonny Snell

Match 4 – Plate Semi-Final: vs. Harpenden “A” – With only nine fit players left standing, the Bears took to the field knowing they had no subs available, so an immense effort was needed against feisty opponents looking for revenge following our earlier victory over their squad mates. The Bears fell behind to an early try before Josh drew them level with a trademark try before half-time. The second period saw the Bears camped in their opponents’ half, but stray passing and wrong options being made meant they could not break through the stern defence to gain the winning score. Sadly, the Bears’ hearts were broken as turnover ball obtained on their own try-line saw Harpenden’s speedy winger win a foot race down the touchline to win the game right on the final whistle.

Score: Monmouth 5 – 10 Harpenden “A”
Try Scorers: Josh Lewis

Competitive in every game, a superb effort by the Bears saw them end a wonderful weekend bloodied, battered and bruised, but immensely proud of their achievements. Roderick was the richly deserved recipient of the Player of the Tournament award for always taking the game to the opponents with his aggressive and brave running – a magnificent performance by him and all the Bears’ squad on the field and also from the dads in the bar!


www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018