Youth v Pontypool Utd (Home) 14 Jan 2012

13-3 Win

After a tough away win against Caldicot in the league last week, Monmouth entertained top of the table Pontypool Utd on Saturday hoping for back to back wins.

An early pitch inspection, due to frost, was conducted but with the appearance of blue skies for most of the morning the game got off to fast start. Pontypool Utd were much the more composed team with Monmouth giving too many early penalties away through off-sides at the rucks and mauls. Fortunately the Pontypool kicker, their No 10, only kicked one of the early four penalties on offer and so Monmouth were fortunate to only be 3 – 0 down after 20 minutes.

As has been so often this season Monmouth had not started to their full potential but with scoreboard only showing them three points behind they started to use the possession they had and to dominate both territory and possession in the latter stages of the first half. Through Fly Half, Ted Senior, Pontypool Utd were kept deep within their 22 with some great positional kicking and the Monmouth Forwards, with the back row of Jamie Morris, Adam Wheeler & Cameron Boycott tackling, at source, any movement from the Pontypool team to break out. They managed a lot of “turnover ball” and were ably supported by the ball carriers of the Monmouth team in captain Tom Green, Dean Bartlett and ever present Mitch Gleed who made a number of runs, deep in to the oppostion’s half on a number of occasions. It was on one of these occasions that a scrum ensued and the Monmouth Scrum Half, Dan White, was unlucky not to score from 5 metres out with the referee judging that the ball was knocked forward.

Monmouth were not to denied for long and open side flanker, Jamie Morris, went over from close quarters to score the first points for the home side. Ted Senior added the conversion making it 7 – 3 at half time.

The team talk at the half way stage was very much on keeping the discipline, cut out the penalties and mistakes and focus on getting the ball wide to our faster, back line.

This approach paid dividends in the second half with wave after wave of attacking rugby from Monmouth being held up by Pontypool Utd just 5 metres out, or an unlucky knock on or forward pass.

With the clock running down, spirits were running high and the penalty count against Pontypool for constantly infringing at the rucks and mauls starting to count against them. Two kickable penalties were taken by Ted Senior, adding a further 6 points to the Monmouth score, so with just less than 10 minutes to go Monmouth were 13 – 3 up.

Monmouth continued to press with the back line of Liam Musselbrook, Jake Meredith (centres) and Rhys Jones, Nathan Cocker (wingers) and Jo Paley (fullback) all playing their part both in attack and defence.

The clock ran out and whilst Monmouth didn’t score again they were much the better team on the day and it was good to hear the Pontypool coaches giving their praise after the game.

Dan White, the Monmouth scrum half, had been pressurising his opposite number all game and this was rewarded with him receiving the man of the match award.

On the back of this week’s result Monmouth Youth can look forward to their next game, at home to Bedwas, on January 21st.

All supporters are welcome, kick off 2.30pm, on Chippenham Fields.

Tries: Jamie Morris,
Conv: Ted Senior
Pen: Ted Senior (2) Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: copyright Monmouth RFC 2018