1XV v Hafodyrynys (Home) 22 Sep 2012

38-17 Win

Scrum-half Gareth Morgan helped Monmouth to a convincing win over Hafodyrynys in last Saturday’s (22nd September) league match at the Sports Ground.

Not only did he have to overcome considerable harassment from the visiting pack, but showed a clean pair of heals at crucial times to take Monmouth convincingly ahead in a game that was expected to be much closer in outcome than the eventual 38-17 victory.

But the game remained quite close until it became almost plain sailing some 15 minutes into the second half.

Before this, they had often been on the back foot, conceding a try right from the kick off when the ball was stolen from the person fielding it and it was as well their defence remained resolute thereafter as Hafodyrynys confidence remained high following their early lead, making good inroads with runs from deep causing Monmouth quite a few scares.

Some relief came midway through the first half when Morgan broke sharply and fly-half Ludo Thomas supported at pace to score under the posts.

Wing Adam Roberts added the conversion.

Monmouth’s tails were now up and they should have taken the lead but for a few missed penalties, passes going astray and last ditch tackles and turnovers by the visitors.

The line-out was at this stage an area of weakness which helped their opponents but the strong runs with ball in hand by flankers Dave Morgan and Josh Gray and hooker Leighton Phillips backed up by slickness of half backs combining with the three-quarters made Hafodyrynys look to their laurels as well.

Play was fairly equal with Monmouth perhaps beginning to gain an advantage as half-time approached but having gained a penalty for a front row offence, the kick to the corner brought a line-out which Hafodyrynys stole, snuffing out any danger to their line and ensuring it remained seven points apiece at the changeover.

The areas where the game plan needed adjustment were made clear to the players by Head Coach Ian Seymour but an early try by the visitors again almost from the kick-off made doubters wonder if the second half was to be a repeat of the first.

Monmouth knuckled down though and began to display the intensity and purpose called for. The better use of their ball and closer support play soon began to bring rewards, with centre Andrew Davies making ground for Roberts to give Morgan the first of his tries to level the scores, followed soon after by Davies himself finishing of a move initiated by fly half Thomas.

Tries: L.Thomas, G.Morgan (3), A.Davies
Conv: A.Roberts

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018