Druids v Usk (Home) 22 Sep 2012

50-18 Win

Druids overwhelm Usk

Monmouth Druids overwhelmed Usk in a Pontypool & Newport League fixture on Chippenmead by the score of 50 points to 18. Rugby was the winner however, the match played in good spirit in bright sunny conditions.

The match started with the visitors making inroads into Druids territory and stretching their defence to the limit. The home side succumbed in conceding a penalty and Usk kicked themselves into a 3 points lead. The Druids pack stepped up the pace and pinned Usk in their 22 metre area. From a scrum close to the visitors line, the Druids pack disrupted the Usk set piece. In the resulting confusion, Scrum half Aran Price dived on the ball to score the first of his three tries in the game. The conversion failed but gave the Druids a 5-3 lead.

Both sides failed with penalty goals as the match entered its end to end phase. The Druids increased their lead when good inter passing between Mattie Edwards and Stuart Boyland saw Nick Phillips power over for an unconverted try. Usk were back in contention when a strong run down the left flank by one of their centres saw the left wing cross in the corner for an unconverted try.

From broken play Aran Price scored his second try after a strong surge from Prop Lee Watkins who was lively throughout the afternoon. The Druids had a head of steam now and looked very threatening and went further ahead just before half time. A desperate relieving kick by Usk was gathered by home full back Mattie Morgan. He cleverly evaded a couple of would be tacklers to touch down for a fine try.

Just before the half time whistle the Druids further increased their lead when a strong determined run by wing Tom Gibson saw him crash over the Usk try line for Dave Brace to convert.

Then possibly the try of the game. A crisp handling move by the Druids backs saw the ball in the hands of left wing Jamie Tyler. From the half way line, he stretched his legs and beat the Usk defence on the outside to cross for a first try for the club. Dave Brace converted to give the Druids a commanding lead.

Another Druids newcomer Ben Goldingay was up in support of a home attack, evaded two challenges and dived over the Usk try line for another debut try for the club . Dave Brace converted.

Usk were not finished and scored two tries to reduce their arrears but did not threaten the result.

The final score belonged to the Druids after a period of pressure on the visitors line. Number 8 Nick Phillips picked up a loose ball and dived over for the eighth Druids try. Dave Brace kicked his fifth conversion and with it a 50-18 victory.

A first win of the season in a derby game against old rivals Usk. The old adage that forwards win matches and the backs decide by how much was certainly true on this occasion. Up front Lee Watkins, Nick Phillips and Ollie Grey played well and in the backs Aran Price and Captain Dave Brace stood out.

Tries: A.Price (2), N.Phillips (2), M.Morgan, T.Gibson, J.Tyler, B.Goldingay
Conv: D.Brace (5)

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018