Druids v Garndiffaith (Home) 20 Oct 2012

14-17 Loss

Druids just Fail

Garndiffaith RFC were the visitors to Chippenham Mead where they faced Monmouth Druids in Pontypool & Newport League game. The Druids who have only one victory this season, with two losses and three cancellations, were facing a team who are in second place of the league table.

The visitors contained a number of youngsters mixed with a small number of more bulkier, more mature players. From the kick off, this bulk showed it’s self in the scrums where they shoved the Druids backwards, causing panic in the home ranks. They forced the Druids into conceding a penalt

It was the Druids who took the lead and what a fine try it was. From a scrum in their own half, the ball was picked up by Number Eight, Nick Phillips who made ground and fed Full Back Gareth Jones, and he ran up to the half way line. He drew a defender and popped a pass to Right Wing Rob Farr and off he sped. Farr’s pace took him past three defenders and he crossed the visitor’s line for a fine try. Dave Brace converted to move the Druids ahead 7-0.

Garndiffaith hit back almost immediately with an opportunist try. The home side were penalised 5 metres from their try line and a Garndiffaith player took it quickly and darted over the Druids line and touched down. The successful conversion drew the scores level.

The Druids took the lead again just before half time and it was a case of déjà vue when their try was almost identical with the first. Again from a scrum near the half way line, short, quick passing put Rob Farr away. He burst passed two defenders and raced away and over the Garndiffaith line. Dave Brace improved the try to give a 14-7 lead as the half-time whistle blew.

The second period began in much the same way as the first as the visitors bossed the scrums but in the line out the Druids had most of the play. Benefiting from good throwing in, Second Row Andy Howells jumped well and won good ball and caused Garndiffaith real problems.

Garndiffaith were not to be denied however, and after a period of pressure on the home try line, the visitors gained a scrum push-over try which was converted to bring the scores level. With 5 minutes remaining, they kicked a winning penalty goal to win a very competitive match 17-14.

The crowd was very vociferous, especially the visitor’s fans, and they seemed to influence the referee who punished the Druids accordingly. For the Druids, the man of the match was Rob Farr and his form promises well for the season.

Tries: R.Farr
Conv: D.Brace

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018