Youth v Risca (Home) 29 Sep 2012

26-5 Win

Risca went into their second league game of the season after a run of defeats but were determined to get their first one away from home against Monmouth who were also in the hunt for their first league win.

Risca kicked the game off and started with great determination and guts from the off. Good strong ball carries from Callum Coughlin and Dan Webb, gave Risca a good platform to work from. A loose kick from the Monmouth full back was caught with ease from Garin Trubey who gave the offload to Coughlin who, with support from his pack, drove him onwards towards the line. Only to be stopped short and be awarded the scrum. A good platfrom which had been laid down by front row Matthew Jarvis, Callum Phillips and Dan Webb gave the back row of Jordan Wilks, Elliot Bateman and captain Callum Coughlin room to play from the back. A pick and go from the scrum saw the Monmouth defence an opportunity to keep them out, but clever thinking by Jordan Wilks, seemingly diving over the ruck and putting the ball down, scores of 5.0 from the linesman and referee and the try was awarded! Conversion was unsuccessful and Risca lead 5-0. Risca were in total control of the first 10-15 minutes but the try was a major wake up call for the Monmouth team. They came back instantly with a penalty from in front of the posts, 3-5 Risca lead after 20 gone. Risca could'nt seem to get the ball back from the Monmouth pack as they rumbled forward, but good defence from centres Corey Nicholls and Lewis Weetch kept the score down, but a lapse in concentration saw Monmouth go in at the corner and with the conversion they were now leading 10-5. Losing Dan Webb late in the first half was a blow to the scrum, with no front row cover, scrums went to passive. Curtis Jeremiah came onto the field. Two more penalties from Monmouth gave the half time.

Monmouth 16 - 5 Risca

Risca went into the second half knowing an early score would be vital to get back into the game but with 15 minutes gone another try for Monmouth sent them to a score of 21 - 5. Then a nasty injury to flanker Jordan Wilks required expert medical attention, leading to the game being stopped for near on 20 minutes for a paramedic to attend and for the game to be relocated to another pitch. With Centre Nicholls in the sin bin, Risca knew they would have to defend with everything they had and they passed the 10 minutes with no points being added! A simple missed tackle late in the game saw a final Monmouth try which was unconverted, Monmouth win 26 - 5.

Risca should be proud of the efforts they made after a few bad losses.

Risca RFC Would like to Thank Youth Physio Phil Coughlin for the work done on the pitch with the injury to Jordan Wilks. The club would also like to thank Monmouth RFC for the terrific support show and Also The ambulance and air ambulance staff for all their help throughout. Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: copyright Monmouth RFC 2018