Druids v Ynysddu (home) 20 Dec 2014

27-23 Win

Druids epic defeat of Ynysddu

Losses in their two previous matches dented Druids confidence before facing in-form Ynysddu on the Sports Ground in Monmouth. Even more squad changes is a condition that the home side is accustomed to but never the less unsettling.

Man for man the visitors were in the main larger than the Druids-would they use this maximise this feature to the best effect?

The game was only minutes old when Ynysddu were forced into conceding a penalty goal which Druids Full Back Kris Gordon converted to inch the home side ahead. Druids Hooker Ben Goldengay went on a 30 metre charge which was threatening but last gasp tackling held the line intact.

Ynysddu counter attacked and took the lead with a try following weak Druids tackling. It started from a scrum deep in the home side half. Winning possession, the visitors transferred the ball along the line for the outside centre to break tackles and cross for an unconverted try wide out.

The Druids retook the lead when quick passing and a kick through saw play close to the visitors line. Quick possession allowed Ben Goldengay to force himself over in the corner for an unconverted try and a 8-5 lead.

Just before the interval Ynyddu hit back to take the lead they just about deserved. Pressure on the Druids line created a chance which Ynysddu took with gusto and this try was converted to give them a 12-8 half time lead.

What was said at the break uplifted the Druids because they started the better side. Their scrum was creaking from the strong shove of the opposition forwards but the home side stuck to the task. At one such scrum close to the Ynysddu line, Scrum Half Gareth Morgan used his speed to power over to give the Druids a one point lead 13-12.

The lead changed hands again when the Ynysddu kicker kicked a penalty goal from 40 metres. The game was see sawing, to and fro and it reflected in the scoreline.

It was the visitors turn to take the lead following a long run by one of their second row which saw the Druids miss tackle him on three occasions.Eventually he was held but a penalty was awarded which the visitors successfully kicked.

Back again stormed the Druids up to the visitors try line. From a scrum, a maul developed which grounded the ball over the goal line. This try was awarded to Gareth Morgan and converted by Kris Gordon to give a 20-18 lead.

The Druids were decisive now and they scored a fourth try through Flanker Rob Erskine following open play near the visitors goal line. Kris Gordon kicked, what turned out to be a vital conversion.

Ynysddu were not finished and from a five metre tap penalty a back row forward powered over and the conversion made the score 27-25 to the Druids. The final whistle blew with the Druids attacking and almost scoring.

To make the victory all the more worthy, the Druids played the last ten minutes with thirteen players because of Yellow Cards awarded for technical offences. A fine match played in wonderful spirit, very well controlled by the referee.

Tries: B.Goldingay, G.Morgan-9, G.Morgan-6 (they are different !! ;-) ), R.Erskine
Conv: K.Gordon (2)
Pen: K.Gordon

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018