Druids v Caldicot (home) 12 Sep 2015

27-29 Loss

A Dramatic Finish

The first game of the new season saw a dramatic finish which will generate different emotions in both sides.The Druids suffered a disappointing pre season which resulted in some player losses, through retirement and club transfer which resulted in the cancellation of the intended season opener last Saturday. On the positive side a number of younger, promising players have joined the senior ranks looking to stake a claim for success. Of course, as in previous seasons, there were a number of ‘experienced’ players adding their ‘expertise.

The visitors, Caldicot, kicked off with a strong wind at their backs and they made this advantage pay within minutes of the game starting. A high hanging kick out of defence by Caldicot bounced between two Druids defenders into the arms of a Caldicot player who pinned his ears back and sprinted between the home side posts. This try, which was converted, was a gift to the visitors and a must have been a boost for Caldicot.

The Druids who lost some players to the Monmouth First team, were further set back by a penalty goal awarded for an indiscretion by a home forward, to stretch the Caldicot lead to 10-0. Strong direct running, by the visitors coupled by some ineffective Druids tackling saw Caldicot look threatening.

The Druids Outside Half Matt King was responsible for a come back by firstly scoring a try from a 5 Metre scrum and then cleverly chipping through for Wing Kesler Mobbs-Morgan to gather and touch down. Both tries were converted by Full Back Kris Gordon to edge the Druids ahead just before half time.

Caldicot were fist to score in the second half when more strong running and support play had its rewards when a converted try put the visitors ahead 17-14. Almost immediately the Druids regained the lead through a 40 metre penalty goal to bring the scores level and regained the lead with yet another fine goal. Again Kris Gordon was the kicker.
The game continued to ebb and flow and Caldicot retook the lead with an opportunist try to make the scoreboard 22-20 in their favour. The Druids pack upped their efforts and set up their backs for an attack. Centre ‘Tewie’ broke away but appeared to be stopped by an illegal tackle. The referee saw no problem but the Druids set up a series of rucks with Monmouth forward Tom Hirst diving over for a yet another try which was converted again by Kris Gordon.

So would the Druids hold on to a 27-22 lead? With the final whistle looming Caldicot mounted a determined attack. Quickly won ball was transferred to the left hand side where a visitors player dived over for a well worked try that made the scores level at 27 points all.
The match result depended on the conversion which was close to the touch line and into a brisk breeze. To loud cheers from the Caldicot supporters the kick just cleared the crossbar and edged the visitors in front 29-27.The referee blew the final whistle to give Caldicot a fine victory.

A fine match played in the best spirit with both sides giving their best. For the Druids Matt King, Andy Boxhall, Tom Hirst and Kesler Mobbs-Morgan were outstanding as was the kicking of Kris Gordon.

Tries: K.Mobbs-Morgan, M.King, M.Hirst
Conv: K.Gordon (3)
Pen: K.Gordon (3)

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018