1XV v Forgeside (away) 26 Sep 2015

20-27 Loss

Monmouth Exit Cup

With the Blaenavon weather very welcoming and rarely seen there, Monmouth set off poorly when a fired-up Forgeside scored their first converted try early in the game as the result of a handling error.

For a long while both sides probed the other hard with the home side fly half the more prominent with his clever attacking and defensive kicking from hand and Monmouth not achieving the scrum ascendancy they are sometimes used to.

A missed tackle created a gap for the home team and only a wild pass into touch prevented the visitors’ line being crossed again.
Forgeside defended with vigour throughout and were not above spoiling tactics to protect their line with the result that they received a yellow card for not rolling away with wing Adam Roberts putting Monmouth on the board with the penalty kick.

Inside three minutes with half-time beckoning. Monmouth were thwarted whilst taking a quick penalty 10 metres or so out with the result that Forgeside lost another two players to the ‘bin’. For some inexplicable reason Monmouth opted to take the easy penalty under the sticks rather than attack the remaining 12 players from a scrum thus entering the break at 7-6.

The second half commenced inauspiciously with a deep kick off being run back by the visitors near to halfway but a penalty for holding on when tackled set them back a further 3 points with a well taken penalty.

Monmouth retaliated with purpose but perhaps from too much watching of World Cup class players currently, a try went begging as the ball was dropped in the act of scoring from a one hand carry.

After slipping further back to a penalty for coming in to the ruck from the side, Roberts made an excellent solo run breaking tackles along the way to convert his own try near the posts.

The game really livened up now with the vociferous home crowd worth several points to Forgeside, even if their flawed knowledge of geography was heard to encourage Monmouth to get back home to England!

Instead they created a 20-13 lead when first flanker Korb made an excellent run, the ball was recycled for Wilding to jink his way over and Roberts to score again with the boot.

But Forgeside’s strength was their determination coupled with Monmouth making unforced errors.

Wing Mobbs-Morgan, having a poor game for him, next tried to run a deep kick out of defence but into trouble, and when caught, lost the ball. Whilst trying to defend the position, Monmouth’s scrum half was knocked over at the ruck only to receive a yellow card for ‘being off his feet’.

The resultant penalty was kicked into the corner and although the initial maul was rebuffed, a penalty scrum for offside was driven over the line for a try which the referee then chose to convert to a penalty try complete with yellow card for coming up in the front row under pressure.

Play became more fierce and tetchy now as the home team strove hard to take the lead helped by coaching advice on the field itself after an altercation over a high speed collision and injury to the tap-tackled valleys man.

Monmouth were tiring and struggling now in the set-piece and after immense pressure on their line compounded by a ragged pass back over it, the ball was recycled and moved right to expose Monmouth far out for another, and the winning, converted try, to the ecstatic delight of Forgeside supporters and players alike.

A lesson in determination and choosing of options for Monmouth, from opponents who were the better side on the day,with little time to reflect as they have to journey back into the valleys to meet RTB Ebbw Vale this coming Saturday.

Tries: A.Roberts, G.Wilding
Conv: A.Roberts (2)
Pen: A.Roberts (2)

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018