Druids v Gwernyfed (home) 21 Nov 2015

12-19 Loss

Druids Fall Short

High flying Gwernyfed RFC were the latest opposition for Monmouth Druids in a league which is showing changes to last season’s results. Awaiting them was a young inexperienced Druids squad with sufficient forwards but lacking three quarters.

The match started in bright but cold weather conditions and with a referee, who just before kick off, lectured both sides on what he expected from the players. God bless him! The visitors were quickly into their stride and their play showed what training can do. Good handling and support play coupled with Druids poor tackling led to Gwernyfed scoring two tries. The first was scored by the right wing taking advantage of keeping the ball alive through a dozen phases of play.

The second try following a series of rucks close to the Druids posts. This was improved and the visitors led by 12 points.The home side improved their tackling which tended to stop Gwernyfed from developing attacking moves. This put the Druids on the front foot and they caused problems for the visitors.

From broken play the ball was moved to Druids Centre Kurt Pearce and he drove hard into the Gwernyfed back line. Taking the adage that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line his powerful run saw him break tackles and race over the Gwernyfed line near the posts. A fine try by ‘Lomu’ Pearce and this was converted by Number 10 Adam Roberts to reduce the arrears to 12-7.
Just before the interval, the Druids added another try to bring the scores level. Number 8 Dan Anstey broke from a maul and sped up to the Gwernyfed 22 metre line. Although tackled he fed Second Row Tom Hurst and he stretched his legs to cross near the corner flag.

The second period saw the Druids maintain their improved form and they proved to be more threatening. Both sides missed penalty opportunities to take the lead but the Druids had the attacking advantage.

Prop Jordan Holder’s run looked dangerous but he lacked support and a further 5 metre penalty opportunity was wasted.

The winning score came from yet another Druids attack.A long pass by the three quarters was intercepted and Gwernyfed raced from their 22 metre line to cross between the home sides posts. This was converted to give Gwernyfed a 19-12 win.

The Druids lost the game in the first 30 minutes but they almost pulled it back. Full Back Mattie Morgan fielded the high ball well and counter attacked but lacked support. The numerous youngsters in the side will hopefully learn from this experience and the older players will ‘top up’ their guidance. As for Gwernyfed, their play in the contact area was sympathetically observed by the referee and this was very significant.

Tries: K.Pearce, D.Anstey
Conv: A.Roberts

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: info@monmouthrfc.com copyright Monmouth RFC 2018