Druids v Abergavenny (home) 20 Sep 2014

25-34 Loss

Druids suffer home defeat

Abergavenny were the latest visitors for the Druids in the third league game of the season. Having won the previous two league fixtures, there was optimism in home ranks that the winning run would be extended.

It started well as the Druids piled on the pressure and Abergavenny were forced on the defence. From a lineout close to the visitors line, a rolling maul was formed and Second Row Pete Saran dived over near the corner flag for the opening score. The conversion failed but this signalled further Druids efforts.

In a move similar to the first try, it was Prop Jake Bodenham who crashed over for a try wide out and Outside Half Chris Gordon converted with an accurate kick near the touchline. So a 12-0 lead and things were looking good for the home side.

Further success followed for the Druids when they added a third try, this time from a three quarter. From a maul inside the visitors 22 metre area, the ball was moved on the overlap to Right Wing Nathan Cocker. He evaded a tackle and scored in the same right hand corner as with the teams previous tries. The kick failed but with a 17 points lead, the Druids could be forgiven if they anticipated another victory. Little did they know.

Abergavenny were stung into action and attacked the home line. From broken play, the forwards drove hard and they crossed wide out on the right. The conversion kick was successful and the scoreboard showed 17-7 in favour of the Druids.

Visitors Full Back Stuart Davies, who had a fine match, made the Druids pay for poor tackling by scoring two tries in quick succession, both unconverted, to bring the scores level.

The Druids missed a long range penalty and the interval whistle blew.
The restart saw the Druids regain the lead they relinquished with a penalty goal awarded for Abergavenny off side. Chris Gordon was the successful kicker.

Visitors Full Back Stuart Davies was prominent again as Abergavenny scored a fourth try which was converted to post a 27-20 lead. This was stretched to 34-20 when the visitors made the game safe with their fifth try.

To end the match, the Druids scored a try which was arguably the best of the game. Attacking from inside their own half, good support play and inter passing resulted in Right Wing Tom Gibson racing the final 20 metres to cross at the corner flag. The referee, who had a good match blew the final whistle and a local derby played in fine spirit, resulted in nine tries and much enjoyment for the hardy supporters.

The Druids will wonder how they incurred a 34-25 defeat after holding a 17-0 lead. Maybe they relaxed but for sure, the poor first up tackling was significant. Worth mentioning were Scrum Half Gareth Morgan, Chris Gordon at stand off and Dan ‘steve’ Anstey.

Tries: P.Saran, J.Bodenham, N.Cocker, T.Gibson
Conv: C.Gordon
Pen: C.Gordon

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: [email protected] copyright Monmouth RFC 2019