Druids v Garndiffaith (home) 18 Oct 2014

25-5 Win

Emphatic victory for Druids

Monmouth Druids had a comprehensive win against visitors Garndiffaith in a league fixture on the Sports Ground. Before the kick off, memories were of the occasion at the end of last season when Garndiffaith put over 30 points on the Druids in a resounding victory. The home side were determined to gain revenge for this defeat, so the match was anticipated keenly.

The Druids kicked off the game and Flanker Pete Saran caught the kick and was held after a storming run. The home side took control through swift passing and good support play. They took the lead from a forward drive which was held up some 10 metres from the Garndiffaith try line. Prop Lee Watkins gained possession and stormed over for a cracking try in the corner. Full Back Kris Gordon converted with a fine kick into a keen wind from the touchline.

Druids Centre Callum Connor showed up next with a strong burst down the middle of the field. He proved difficult to stop but was eventually held up after a stirring run. A series of chances were wasted by the Druids through handling errors and sloppy passing. Players and Druids spectators alike were frustrated by these missed chances and feared that it would be regretted at the games end.

The home side calmed nerves when they created and scored a try through a three quarter move deep in the Garndiffaith half. Outside Half Anthony Layne got his line moving and the ball arrived in the hands of Right Wing Nathan Cocker on the overlap. He scuttled over near the corner flag but the conversion kick failed.
Just before the half time whistle, the Garndiffaith Scrum Half put in a fine kick close to the Druids line. The visitors’ forwards won possession and set up a driving maul which resulted in a try which was not improved. So after a half in which they were the better side, the score line of 12-5 did not reflect the Druids superiority. It was thought that the home side would like to score first in the second period to confirm their dominance.

Garndiffaith had the opportunity to close the gap but a penalty attempt just failed. The Druids left wing Kester Mobbs-Morgan set off on a long run in his £230 boots and a try seemed certain but a knock on prevented a score. The home side did extend their lead through a 30 metre penalty goal by Kris Gordon.

The Druids scored a third try from a scrum five through Number Eight Andy Boxall. He picked up and drove hard through a tackle and touched down for a 20-5 lead.
Both sides incurred Yellow Cards as the Druids chased a fourth try and the tiring Garndiffaith side trying hard not to concede. The fourth try and bonus point was achieved by Andy Layne. From broken play, Layne gathered and strolled over for a 25-5 Druids victory.

The front row formed a solid basis of the team success and Back Row forwards Andy Boxall and Shane Macgowen were praiseworthy. The strong running of the threequarters made them threatening and always dangerous. The half backs of Garndiffaith were their best players but their ‘portly’ forwards never gave them sufficient possession.

Tries: L.Watkins, N.Cocker, A.Boxall, A.Layne
Conv: K.Gordon
Pen: K.Gordon

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: [email protected] copyright Monmouth RFC 2019