Druids v Pill Harriers (home) 09 May 2015

31-5 Win

Final day win for Druids

The last game of the season saw Pill Harriers visit Monmouth Druids on Chippenham Mead. The Druids team were very short of rugby as this fixture was only the second match since the end of last February, a victory over Garndiffaith. As usual, a much changed squad was put together to face this Newport side.

In fact Pill caught the Druids ‘cold’ with a try after only five minutes. The Pill Full Back gathered a Druids kick and burst down the middle of the pitch. The Druids fell off tackling him until he reached the Druids 22 metre area. Good support play by Pill saw the ball transferred to the right wing and he steamed over the try line to shock the home side. The try was not improved but a five point lead gave the Druids a reminder of the challenge they faced.

The Druids did not panic but used the ball possession they won and drove hard into the Pill ranks. One such attack was held close to the Pill try line. Quick winning of the ball allowed diminutive Scrum Half Nathan Cocker to dive over for an equalising try. Although the conversion kick was unsuccessful it signalled the Druids intentions.

The home side bombarded the visitors try line but sound defence by Pill repulsed the Druids attacks. However the Druids were not to be denied. A sweeping threequarter move with good crisp handling saw Full Back Kris Gordon touch down in the corner. He promptly converted his own try with a fine kick from the touch line giving the Druids a 12-5 interval lead.

The Second Period was a repeat of the first as the Druids held the initiative, winning good ball and forcing Pill to tackle solidly. Another attack saw the home side backs display sound handling and penetration which the visitors defence were at full stretch to contain.

The Druids turned down a relatively straight forward penalty kick attempt which would have required Pill to score twice to regain the lead. Shortly afterwards however, they further increased their lead with another try. This time it was Wing Callum Conner who used his speed and determination to burst through the visitors ranks to cross half way between the posts and corner flag. Kris Gordon converted to stretch the lead to 19-5.

It was Conner again who punished the Pill team when he intercepted a visitor’s pass to race in for the Druids fourth try which Gordon duly converted. The home side were not finished and yet another backs move saw Centre Rhys Evans take a pass off his toes and put Left Wing Kurt Pearce over for the fifth try and a 31-5 victory.

An emphatic win with the Druids backs causing great difficulty for the visitors. The forwards played their part with a fine display winning great possession and tackling ferociously.

So the last hurrah in a season which did not realise the prospects which could have been expected. A big thank you to Uncle Bob Prewett who nursed the side through the year. Bring on next season.

Tries: N.Cocker, K.Gordon, C.Connor (2), K.Pearce
Conv: K.Gordon (3)

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: [email protected] copyright Monmouth RFC 2019