U13 v Gwernyfed (home) 08 Nov 2015

44-7 Win

Following a very well attended and disciplined remembrance Sunday parade by the rugby club on the chippy, the U13,s (The Lions) turned their attention to the days match against Gwerneyfed. Due to so many home games, the Lions were given the honour of playing on the 1st team pitch, which is always a nice compromise.. Smiling face with smiling eyes.

The Gwerneyfed boys have always provided good competition for Monmouth and it seemed that today would be no exception, judging by the height of some of their players. Unfortunately, they were only able to field 12 players and so several Monmouth boys volunteered to make up their numbers (we had a squad of 21 available).

From the whistle, Monmouth took the game to them despite their intimidating size. The Lions could easily have allowed the visitors to run away with the game, however, the Monmouth boys were not daunted. Monmouth kicked off and immediately spoiled for the ball, the back row working together to release the ball for the backs, which allowed Charlie Weldon to secure the 1st try, going over in the corner.

The game quickly resumed with Monmouth again attacking and getting the ball once again over the line, a fine running try by Jamie Strachan and a well kicked Charlie Weldon conversion.

The 1st half continued in the same way, with Monmouth rarely venturing out of the oppositions half. 2 more tries were scored by Ollie Williams and Jamie Strachan, with the last try of the half being converted by Jonathon Pearce.

The 2nd half proved no different, with Monmouth again dominating the game. despite Gwerneyfed scoring a deserved try, the Monmouth boys turned it up and scored a further 4 tries ( 2 for Angus Whitehead, 1 for Morgan Wainwright, converted by Jonathon Pearce and another try, giving a hat rick for Jamie Strachan).

Monmouth had dominated the game, which had been well disciplined, and from a referees point of view, really enjoyable. The game was won because the boys concentrated on what they have been doing in the training sessions, re-aligning in the backs very quickly, good hands and supporting the ball runner. The forwards were quick to any breakdown and secured the ball, even taking ball that should have been won by the opposition. The back row players had obviously learned from watching world cup games and worked well with each other. Despite the difference in size, the forwards took all of their scrums and took a few against the head.

The boys all worked well together and it showed.

The team on Sunday was well captained by Morgan Wainwright, who was all over the park at every breakdown, However, the ‘man of the match’ title went to Charlie Weldon, who’s kicking showed vision and accuracy, particularly with the final kick through to Angus Whitehead, getting him over the line for the final try. Well deserved by Charlie.

I have only mentioned the try scorers and kickers. If I could, I would have described how each boy contributed to the game as they all played out of their skins, enabling the tries to be scored!

A big well done from the coaching team and a credit to all your parents…well done Monmouth boys

Monmouth 44 7 Gwerneyfed

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: [email protected] copyright Monmouth RFC 2019