1XV v Abertysswg (home) 14 Oct 2017

46-10 Win

Bonus Point Win For Monmouth

After almost immediately going three points behind from a penalty for not rolling away and then not allowing play to progress the requisite ten metres, expectations of a tough battle against visitors to the Sports Ground, Abertysswg, were soon to be put into perspective.

Monmouth immediately responded with a play where a three on one overlap in the bottom right corner was squandered through a knock on, and then at the next play a drive in a scrum set Abertysswg very much back on their heels. Awarded a penalty for coming up under the pressure, Monmouth opted for a further scrum and a further strong drive saw scrum half White snipe over for a converted try without having a hand laid upon him.

Abertysswg’s physical response went too far and for a swinging punch on entering a ruck they were to be a man down from a red card and with 63 minutes left to play!

Hawkins reduced this benefit to evens for ten minutes by leaving the field for a high tackle where fortunately two penalties in succession failed. Riding their luck, Monmouth and fly half Emanuelli responded with a probing kick which a defender failed to collect and wing Smith followed up, dribbling the loose ball on to put Monmouth 15-3 ahead.

The right corner was a favourite spot as flanker Grant proved with his next try after a chip kick which wing Tabb again converted and but for a forward pass in an impressive move and on another occasion a pass direct into touch they could have boosted the score significantly. Prop Ridgeway almost found the same lucky spot with an impressive charge but once tackled on the line his popped pass was adjudged to be forward.

Another strong scrum led to a three quarter move where full back Nove cut an excellent line to see a further deserved seven points before half time.

From the re-start, it was Nove who soon set the scene with a strong break although sadly a defender managed to hamper his pass to an overlap on his left and with the line beckoning.

But the visitors were sparking in return and it took some determined defence including a stunning tackle by centre Paley which brought applause, before Monmouth eventually succumbed after losing one of their own players to a yellow card for a deliberate knock on. A penalty kick to touch brought a driving maul and an eventual converted try.

At 29-10 Abertysswg were giving as good as they got but a penalty for holding on which Tabb comfortably converted soon steadied things. Nove was involved again but his pass was knocked back. Paley recovered it, threw his head back and amazed all watching as he ran right through the defenders to score next.

Following the conversion by Tabb he was soon called upon again to cover back to recover
a kick through. After making inroads, when tackled, the ball was laid back and White ran elusively from around 30 metres to pass to the supporting Emanuelli to take the score with the conversion to what was to be a final result of 46 -10 and yet with nearly a full quarter remaining.

The visitors fought hard, sustained by not a little pride, and may have redeemed themselves but for their continued determination turning into indiscipline. Their captain was yellow-carded but despite this, it was Monmouth who were under pressure for much of the remaining time. The fact that by the end, their coach, who came on as a substitute, also received his marching orders for a late and high tackle rather sealed their fate, although sadly forcing the injured Parsons out of the game in the process

This bonus point win consolidates Monmouth’s position in the league and should stand them in good stead for a further home fixture versus Blackwood Stars this coming Saturday.

Tries: Morgan Paley, Joel Grant, Dan White, Amosa Nove, Will Smith, Paul Emanuelli.
Conv: Matthew Tabb (5).
Pen: Matthew Tabb (2).

www.monmouthrfc.com Telephone: +44 (0)1600 712309 Email: [email protected] copyright Monmouth RFC 2019